and updates on the
California Lemon Law
You are currently viewing our Lemon Law reference page for :
Hawaii - Statute §4811-2
- Vehicles Covered:
- New motor vehicles previously untitled, bought or used primarily for personal, family or household purposes, including demonstrators and other vehicles sold with a warranty. Excludes mopeds, motorcycles, motor scooters, and vehicles over 10,000 lbs.
- Persons Covered:
- Purchasers, lessees or transferees during express warranty period, or any person entitled to enforce the warranty.
- Period Covered:
- Whichever is first: term of express warranty, within two years from date of delivery, or within 24,000 miles.
- Notice Requirement:
- (a) Manufacturer - written notice of provisions to the consumer; (b) Consumer - in writing to the manufacturer, its agent, or its authorized dealer only if manufacturer has provided a written notice of terms of arbitration board and rights of consumer.
- Repair Requirements:
- It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made if the same nonconformity has been subjected to three or more repairs, or the vehicle has been out of service for 30 or more business days.
- Affirmative Defenses:
- The nonconformity does not substantially impair the use and market value of the vehicle, or is the result of abuse, neglect, or any unauthorized modification or alteration.
- Manufacturers shall replace with a comparable motor vehicle and refund the full purchase price les a reasonable allowance (defined).
- Other Reimbursement:
- Refund of the full purchase price including all collateral charges. Excluding interest.
- Other remedies:
- A violation is an unfair or deceptive act or practice.
- Consumer can use a state funded arbitration procedure.
- Resale of Lemon:
- Full disclosure required. Must provide one year or 12,000 mile warranty covering same defect or defects.
Disclaimer: Please note that statutes may have been amended since the book was originally published in 2005.
Please consult your Secretary of State or local DMV office for the most recent and up to date statutes for the California Lemon Law.