and updates on the
California Lemon Law
You are currently viewing our Lemon Law reference page for :
Mississippi - Code §63-17-151
- Vehicles Covered:
- Vehicles sold in state, including lease purchases and demonstrators, if warranty is issued. Excludes off-road vehicles, motorcycles, mopeds and add-on parts of motor homes.
- Persons Covered:
- Purchasers, transferees during the express warranty period or any persons entitled to enforce the warranty where vehicle primarily used for personal, family, or household purposes.
- Period Covered:
- Whichever is first: term of express warranty or within one year from date of delivery.
- Notice Requirement:
- (a) Manufacturer - provide list of service office addresses in the owner's manual; notice of informal dispute settlement procedure after consumer's notice, if not given prior to complaint; (b) Consumer - written notice of nonconformity to the manufacturer who has ten days to cure after delivery of the vehicle to designated dealer.
- Repair Requirements:
- It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made if the substantively same nonconformity has been subjected to three or more repairs, or the vehicle is out of service for a cumulative total of 15 or more working days.
- Affirmative Defenses:
- The nonconformity does not significantly impair the use, market value or safety of the vehicle, or is the result of the consumer's abuse, neglect, or any unauthorized modifications or alterations; a claim is not made in good faith; any other defenses allowed by law.
- At the consumer's option, the manufacturer shall replace with a comparable vehicle, or refund the full purchase price less a reasonable allowance (defined). Comparable is defined as identical or reasonably equivalent.
- Other Reimbursement:
- Collateral charges.
- Other remedies:
- There is no limit on other consumer remedies; costs, expenses an attorney fees.
- For remedies under this section, a consumer must use the informal dispute procedure established by the manufacturer provided the procedure complies with 16 C.F.R. 703.
- Resale of Lemon:
Disclaimer: Please note that statutes may have been amended since the book was originally published in 2005.
Please consult your Secretary of State or local DMV office for the most recent and up to date statutes for the California Lemon Law.