and updates on the
California Lemon Law
You are currently viewing our Lemon Law reference page for :
Montana - Code §61-4-501
- Vehicles Covered:
- Vehicles sold in state to transport persons and property, including non-residential portions of motor homes. Excludes trucks over 10,000 lbs. and motor homes.
- Persons Covered:
- Purchasers, transferees during the express warranty period or any persons entitled to enforce the warranty.
- Period Covered:
- Whichever is first: two year after date of delivery or 18,000 miles.
- Notice Requirement:
- (a) Manufacturer - clear and conspicuous written notification of nonconformity is required in the warranty or owner's manual; include name and address; (b) Consumer - written notification to manufacturer.
- Repair Requirements:
- It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made if the same nonconformity has been subjected to four or more repairs, or the vehicle is out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more business days.
- Affirmative Defenses:
- The nonconformity does not significantly impair the use, market value or safety of the vehicle, or is the result of abuse, neglect, or any unauthorized modifications or alterations.
- Manufacturers shall replace with a new motor vehicle of the same model, style and value, or the manufacturer shall accept return of the motor vehicle and give a full refund the purchase price less a reasonable allowance (defined).
- Other Reimbursement:
- Collateral and incidental charges; refunds to the consumer and lien holder.
- Other remedies:
- There is no limit on other consumer remedies.
- For remedies under this section, a consumer must use the informal dispute procedure established by the manufacturer provided that it complies with 16 C.F.R. 703.
- Resale of Lemon:
- Full disclosure required.
Disclaimer: Please note that statutes may have been amended since the book was originally published in 2005.
Please consult your Secretary of State or local DMV office for the most recent and up to date statutes for the California Lemon Law.