and updates on the
California Lemon Law
You are currently viewing our Lemon Law reference page for :
North Dakota - Code §51-07-16
- Vehicles Covered:
- Passenger vehicles as defined in statutes, or trucks under 10,000lbs gross vehicle weight, sold or leased in state: Excludes house cars.
- Persons Covered:
- Purchasers, transferees or lessees during express warranty period or any person entitled to enforce the warranty.
- Period Covered:
- Whichever is first: term or express warranty, or within one year from date of original delivery.
- Notice Requirement:
- (a) Manufacturer - none; (b) Consumer - report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer from or on behalf of the consumer; opportunity to cure.
- Repair Requirements:
- It is presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been made if the same nonconformity has been subjected to three or more repairs, or the vehicle is out of service for a cumulative total of 30 or more business days within one year.
- Affirmative Defenses:
- The nonconformity does not significantly impair the use or market value of the vehicle, or is the result of abuse, neglect, or any unauthorized modifications or alterations.
- At the consumer's option, the manufacturer shall replace with a comparable vehicle, or refund the full purchase price less a reasonable allowance (defined).
- Other Reimbursement:
- Collateral charges, refunds to the consumer and lien holder.
- Other remedies:
- Exclusive remedy; if proved under this section, a consumer may not pursue other remedies.
- For remedies under this section, a consumer must use the informal dispute procedure established by the manufacturer provided that it complies with 16 C.F.R. 703.
- Dealer Liability:
- Resale of Lemon:
- Must provide full disclosure and a 12-month or 12,000 mile warranty for vehicles sold in state, may not ship to another state unless full disclosure is made.
Disclaimer: Please note that statutes may have been amended since the book was originally published in 2005.
Please consult your Secretary of State or local DMV office for the most recent and up to date statutes for the California Lemon Law.